Live Science. Discover Your Future.
The Science & Technology faculty guide inquiry into the origins of life, from the molecular to the global. Students will engage in laboratory and field experiences to develop their scientific perspective.
We are biology. We are reminded of this at the beginning and at the end, at birth and death.”—Mary Roach, The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers.
Degrees offered: B.A. and B.S.
A Balancing Act
Within the Biology and Biological Sciences program students can follow a number of concentrations:
- Pre-Medical Science: Students choose this track, designed to lead to admission to graduate schools in medicine, dentistry, optometry, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, biology, chemistry, and other health professions.
- Pre-Physical Therapy: Integrates coursework in biology, chemistry, and physical education to prepare students for physical therapy school. (Also recommended for occupational therapy)
- Environmental: Focuses on the ecological principles and environmental issues involved in our natural world. Careers include park ranger, naturalist, state and federal conservation, and graduate school.
- Secondary Education Certification: Offers a secondary teacher certification program in conjunction with the School of Education for students seeking a career as a junior high or as a high school or a graduate school teacher.
- Clinical Laboratory Science Degree: Focused on medical technology in collaboration with academically affiliated hospitals. Clinical Laboratory Science is also referred to as Medical Laboratory Science. Prepares students for working in hospital laboratories.
- Pre-Occupational Therapy: Integrates coursework in biology, chemistry, and psychology to prepare students for occupational therapy school.
Active Learning Opportunities
Our students gain professional experience through a variety of opportunities:
- Through study abroad opportunities investigate tropical destinations.
- Collect data for the Missouri Stream Team and Monarch Watch.
- Paid internships at top-notch local agencies and institutions.
- Participate in field and lab work.
- The Pre-Professional Science Club paves your way to a future in science.
- Job shadowing in the health care setting.
- Faculty-led student research
- Engage in our Franciscan Mission of environmental stewardship through the Environmental Club.
A Few of Your Career Options
- Park Ranger
- Science Teacher 6th-12th grade
- Health Department Worker
- Scientific Research
- Medical Doctor
- Veterinary Doctor
- Physical Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Genetic Counselor
- Public Health Worker
- Environmental Lawyer
- Environmental Conservationist
- Laboratory Technician
- Forensic Scientist
- Physician’s Assistant
- Nurse Practitioner