Get ready for ... Commencement 2019
FRIDAY, MAY 10 – REHEARSAL / CHAMPAGNE BRUNCH / BACCALAUREATE MASS
- 10:30 am – Commencement Rehearsal for all graduates – Pepsi Arena, Health & Fitness Center on Oak Street between 18th and 20th Streets.
- 11:30 am – Champagne Brunch – hosted by Alumni Services, held in the Main Dining Room immediately following rehearsal. All 2019 graduates are welcome to attend. Guests are welcome at $10.00 per person. For more information, contact Alumni Services at 217-228-5432, ext. 3455.
- 2:00 pm – Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing and Health Sciences Pinning, held at The Crossing, 150 S 48th St, Quincy, IL.
- 5:00 pm – Baccalaureate Mass at St. Francis Solanus Chapel inside Francis Hall. Graduates are to wear gowns (no caps, stoles or hoods) and sit with family. Tickets are not required. All are Welcome!
- 8:30 am – 5:00 pm – University Bookstore hours.
SATURDAY, MAY 11 – COMMENCEMENT / RECEPTION
- 1:00 – 5:00 pm – University Bookstore hours.
- 1:00 pm – Hall of Fame room open for graduates to pick up tickets and/or honor cords or ask questions about line-up, etc.
- 2:00 pm – Doors to Memorial Gymnasium will open (ticket required for every person for entry to Pepsi Arena).
- 2:00 pm – All graduates meet in the Hall of Fame Room, 20th and Oak Streets, for line-up. Enter through the east doors of the Hall of Fame Room.
- 3:00 pm – Commencement ceremony (ticket required for every person for entry to Pepsi Arena).
- Closed circuit broadcast of ceremony in the Health and Fitness Center three-court area (overflow seating – no ticket required for this area).
- Reception immediately following ceremony on Friars’ Field north of Pepsi Arena (weather permitting)
COMMENCEMENT PARTICIPATION AND STUDENT FINANCIAL ACCOUNTS
- Participation in the Commencement ceremony is dependent upon clearance by the University Registrar following a review of your academic record.
- Students must be within 6 credit hours of completing their undergraduate baccalaureate degree to participate in the Commencement ceremony.
- Students must apply for graduation by March 1. A $200.00 graduation fee will be applied to your financial account.
- Students who apply after the March 1 deadline will be charged an additional late fee of $100.
- Degree candidates with a balance due will not be allowed to participate in Commencement. All tuition, room, board, fees, interest, library fines, and parking tickets must be paid in full by April 19.
- No transcript or diploma will be issued until the balance is paid in full.
- Diplomas will be mailed during the summer to each graduate at the address provided on the graduation application. Diplomas will not be distributed on stage.
GRADUATION WITH HONORS
Graduation Honors are awarded to undergraduate students only. Students who maintain a cumulative grade point average at Quincy University of at least a 3.40 based on courses completed for a baccalaureate degree are eligible for graduation with honors as follows:
- Cum Laude 3.40 to 3.54 GPA — Silver Cord
- Magna Cum Laude 3.55 to 3.74 — GPA Gold Cord
- Summa Cum Laude 3.75 to 4.00 — GPA Bonaventure Medal
These honors distinctions will be noted on the student’s transcript and the diploma. All graduation requirements must be completed prior to Commencement for honors to be announced at Commencement.
HONOR CORDS AND STOLES
Honor cords are worn by those who graduate with University honors, as noted above. Cords are also worn by members of academic honor societies and/or the Honors Program.
All undergraduates wear stoles that have the QU seal. Those who have completed their nursing degree through Blessing-Reiman College of Nursing and Health Sciences will wear a stole with both the QU and BRCN seals. Undergraduates affiliated with a Greek organization that meets academic standards for membership may wear a stole representing a fraternity or sorority.
The stoles and cords noted here are approved by the University and are the only ones allowed to be worn at Commencement.
The Honors Program promotes academic excellence through critical thinking, original research, exceptional writing, and public presentation of scholarship. Those students who have completed the Quincy University Honors Program will be announced at Commencement. Completion of the Honors Program will be noted on the student’s transcript.
TICKETS & SEATING
- Each degree candidate planning to participate in Commencement will receive a minimum of 4 tickets. (the actual number may increase based upon the official number of graduates)
- No tickets will be mailed. Students may pick up tickets along with their caps and gowns in the Bookstore (lower level of the Student Center) beginning Monday, May 6 at noon during business hours (see under “Caps and Gowns”). Students residing off campus may pick up tickets on Saturday at 1:00 pm in the Hall of Fame Room.
- Everyone, including infants and toddlers, must have a ticket to gain entry into Pepsi Arena for the Commencement ceremony.
- Tickets are not required for the Baccalaureate Mass.
- Commencement overflow seating is available in the Health and Fitness Center three-court area, and the ceremony will be broadcast on a closed circuit screen. Tickets are not required for this seating area.
- Reserved seating in Pepsi Arena is available for those with disabilities; please contact Mary Betts in the Academic Affairs Office at 217-228-5432, Ext. 3300. Facilities for the Reception, Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement are handicap accessible.
CAPS & GOWNS
- Academic apparel order information is submitted through the Graduation Application.
- All caps and gowns will be available to be picked up with your tickets beginning Monday, May 6 at noon in the Bookstore during business hours. Pick up times are:
|Monday||May 6||12:00 P.M. – 5:00 P.M.|
|Tuesday – Thursday||May 7 – 9||8:30 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.|
|Friday||May 10||8:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M.|
The $200.00 graduation fee includes the cost of a cap and gown and is required even if you do not plan to participate in the ceremony.
LIFETOUCH SPECIAL EVENTS PHOTOGRAPHY
Click here to order photos taken during the Commencement ceremony from Lifetouch Photography.
Order QU Graduation Announcements
- Click here and select “Quincy University” from the list, then the graduation date (only one choice) and then your degree.
- Diploma frames may be ordered from the University bookstore. Click here to order.
Suggested ordering deadline is April 8 for receipt before Commencement.
Click here to order a class ring from the University Bookstore.
GRADUATION NEWS RELEASE
- The Office of Community Relations (Francis Hall, Rm. B-37) will release a list of graduates to each student’s hometown newspaper.
- If you wish to opt-out of this news release OR have your graduation announcement published to another hometown/community newspaper, please contact the Office of Community Relations at email@example.com.
A DVD of the Commencement ceremony is available for purchase through the Office of Community Relations (Francis Hall, Rm. B-37).
- Some area hotels extend a special rate for families attending Commencement Weekend. Please make sure to mention QU Commencement when reserving rooms.
- For a full listing of area accommodations, visit the Quincy Area Convention and Visitors Bureau website at www.seequincy.com. Click here for a listing of local establishments, including hotels, that provide QU discounts.
Any questions regarding Commencement can be directed to:
Registrar’s Office, 217-228-5432, ext. 3970, or email firstname.lastname@example.org