Get ready for ... 2022 Spring Commencement
The 2022 Spring Commencement ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, May 14, at 2:00 p.m. in the QU Football Stadium – rain or shine.
In the event of severe weather, the ceremony will be moved to Pepsi Arena in the Health and Fitness Center, and degree candidates will receive an email and text alerting them of the location change. Degree candidates are responsible for informing their guests.
FRIDAY, MAY 13
No rehearsal will be held. Instructions will be given at check-in on Saturday.
11:00 a.m. Champagne Brunch – Main Dining Room, Student Center
- Hosted by Alumni Services. All degree candidates are welcome at no cost. Guests are welcome at $10.00 per person. For more information, contact Alumni Services at 217-228-5432, ext. 3455.
2:00 p.m. Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing and Health Sciences Pinning
- The Crossing, 150 S. 48th (48th & Maine Sts.), Quincy, IL.
SATURDAY, MAY 14
9:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m. University Bookstore Hours
(NEW TIME) 10:00 a.m. Baccalaureate Mass – St. Francis Solanus Chapel, Francis Hall
- Degree candidates are to wear gowns (no caps, stoles or hoods) and sit with family. Tickets are not required. All are welcome!
1:00 p.m. Degree Candidates line up for Commencement Procession – QU Stadium (Baseball entrance)
- Enter through the northwest gate (18th & Sycamore Sts.)
2:00 p.m. Commencement– QU Stadium (Football entrance) (20th & Sycamore Sts.)
- Gates open at 1:00 p.m. No tickets required.
The ceremony will be live-streamed on the GLVC network at https://www.glvcsn.com/quincy/
COMMENCEMENT PARTICIPATION AND STUDENT FINANCIAL ACCOUNTS
- Participation in the Commencement ceremony is dependent upon clearance by the University Registrar following a review of your academic record.
- Degree candidates must be within 2 courses of completing their undergraduate baccalaureate degree to participate in the Commencement ceremony.
- Degree candidates must apply for graduation by March 1. A $200.00 graduation fee will be applied to your financial account.
- Degree candidates who apply after the March 1 deadline will be charged an additional late fee of $100.
- All tuition, room, board, fees, interest, library fines, and parking tickets are to be paid in full by April 15.
- Exit Loan Counseling for degree candidates with student loans are to be completed by April 15.
- No transcript or diploma will be issued until any balance due is paid in full.
- Diplomas will be mailed during the summer to each eligible graduate at the address provided on the graduation application. Diplomas will not be distributed on stage.
GRADUATION WITH HONORS
Graduation Honors are awarded to undergraduate students only.
Prior to Academic Year 2020-21, students who maintained a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.40 based on all Quincy University courses completed for a baccalaureate degree are eligible for graduation with honors as follows:
- Cum Laude 3.40 to 3.54 GPA — Silver Cord
- Magna Cum Laude 3.55 to 3.74 GPA — Gold Cord
- Summa Cum Laude 3.75 to 4.00 GPA — Bonaventure Medal
Beginning in Academic Year 2020-21, students who maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.60 based on all Quincy University courses completed for a baccalaureate degree are eligible for graduation with honors as follows:
- Cum Laude 3.60 to 3.74 GPA — Silver Cord
- Magna Cum Laude 3.75 to 3.89 GPA — Gold Cord
- Summa Cum Laude 3.90 to 4.00 GPA — Bonaventure Medal
These honors distinctions will be noted on the student’s transcript and the diploma. All graduation requirements must be completed prior to Commencement for honors to be announced at Commencement.
Refer to the Academic Catalog, page 18, for more details.
HONOR CORDS AND STOLES
Honor cords are worn by those who graduate with University honors, as noted above. Cords are also worn by members of academic honor societies and/or the Honors Program.
All undergraduates wear stoles that have the QU seal. Those who have completed their nursing degree through Blessing-Reiman College of Nursing and Health Sciences will wear a stole with both the QU and BRCN seals. Undergraduates affiliated with a Greek organization that meets academic standards for membership may wear a stole representing a fraternity or sorority.
The stoles and cords noted here are approved by the University and are the only ones allowed to be worn at Commencement.
The Honors Program promotes academic excellence through critical thinking, original research, exceptional writing, and public presentation of scholarship. Those students who have completed the Quincy University Honors Program will be announced at Commencement. Completion of the Honors Program will be noted on the student’s transcript.
Refer to the Academic Catalog, pages 22-23, for more details.
SERVICE LEARNING HOURS
All degree candidates receiving an undergraduate degree must have all Service Learning hours completed by Friday, May 6. For questions contact Sara Phillips, Experiential Learning Specialist, at email@example.com.
CAPS AND GOWNS
- Academic apparel order information is submitted through the Graduation Application.
- All caps and gowns will be available to be picked up with tickets beginning at noon on Monday, May 9, in the Bookstore during business hours. Pick-up times are:
|Monday||May 9||12:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.|
|Tuesday–Thursday||May 10–12||8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m.|
|Friday||May 13||8:30 a.m.–12:00 p.m.|
- The $200.00 graduation fee includes the cost of the diploma, mailing fees, administrative costs, and other expenses associated with graduation. All degree candidates are listed in the Commencement program and all must pay the fee, regardless of attendance at the ceremony.
ORDER QU GRADUATE ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Click here and select “Quincy University” from the list, then the graduation date (only one choice) and then your degree. Suggested deadline for ordering announcements is April 1.
LIFETOUCH SPECIAL EVENTS PHOTOGRAPHY
- Click here to order photos taken during the Commencement ceremony from Lifetouch Photography. For more information on Lifetouch, click here.
- Click here to order a class ring from the University Bookstore.
GRADUATION NEWS RELEASE
- The Office of Community Relations (Francis Hall, Rm. B-37) will release a list of graduates to each graduate’s hometown newspaper.
- If you wish to opt-out of this news release OR have your graduation announcement published to another hometown/community newspaper, please contact the Office of Community Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SEVERE WEATHER INFORMATION (rain tickets, location, etc.)
In the event of severe weather, the ceremony will be moved indoors to Pepsi Arena in the Health and Fitness Center. Degree candidates will receive an email and text alerting them of the location change.
Degree candidates are responsible for informing their guests.
- Each degree candidate planning to participate in Commencement will receive eight (8) rain tickets for guests for entry to Pepsi Arena.
- No tickets will be mailed. Participants may pick up rain tickets along with their caps and gowns in the Bookstore (Lower level of the Student Center) beginning at noon on Monday, May 9, during business hours (see under “Caps and Gowns”).
- Guests without a rain ticket will be able to watch the ceremony in the Hall of Fame Room in the Health & Fitness Center via closed circuit broadcast.
- Everyone, including infants and toddlers, must have a ticket to gain entry to the ceremony if held in Pepsi Arena.
- Some area hotels extend a special rate for families attending Commencement Weekend. Please make sure to mention QU Commencement when reserving rooms.
- For a full listing of area accommodations, visit the Quincy Area Convention and Visitors Bureau website at www.seequincy.com . Click here for a listing of local establishments, including hotels, that provide QU discounts.
Questions regarding Commencement can be directed to:
Registrar’s Office, 217-228-5432, ext. 3970,
Academic Affairs Office, 217-228-5432, ext. 3300