Get ready for ... Commencement 2017
Friday, May 12 – Rehearsal / Champagne Brunch / Pinning Ceremony
- 10:30 am – Commencement Rehearsal for all graduates – Pepsi Arena, Health & Fitness Center on Oak Street between 18th and 20th Streets.
- 11 am – Senior Champagne Brunch – hosted by Alumni Services, held in the Main Dining Room immediately following rehearsal. All 2017 graduates are welcome to attend. Guests are welcome at $10.00 per person. For more information, contact Alumni Services at 217-228-5432, ext. 3455.
- 2 pm – Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing Commencement, held at Madison Park Christian Church, 4700 Broadway, Quincy, IL.
Saturday, May 13 – Reception / Baccalaureate Liturgy.
- 3 – 7 pm – University Bookstore hours.
- 5 – 7 pm – Baccalaureate Reception for all graduates and their families held in the Student Center. Heavy hors d’oeuvres will be served. RSVP will be required when picking up cap and gown or make reservations HERE
- Please contact the Student Success Center at 217-228-5432, ext. 3787, or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- 7:30 pm – Baccalaureate Liturgy at St. Francis Solanus Church, 17th and College Avenue. Graduates are to wear gowns only (no caps, stoles or hoods) and sit with family. Tickets are not required.
Sunday, May 14 – Commencement
- 8:30 am – Hall of Fame room open for graduates to pick up tickets and/or honor cords or ask questions about line-up, etc.
- 9 am – 1 pm – University Bookstore hours.
- 9:30 am – Doors to Memorial Gymnasium will open (ticket required for entry to Pepsi Arena).
- 9:30 am – All graduates meet in the Hall of Fame Room, 20th and Oak Streets, for line-up. Enter through the east doors of the Hall of Fame Room.
- 10:30 am – Commencement ceremony (ticket required for entry to Pepsi Arena).
- Closed circuit broadcast of ceremony in the Health and Fitness Center three-court area (overflow seating – no ticket required for this area).
- Reception immediately following ceremony on Friars’ Field north of Pepsi Arena (weather permitting)
Commencement Participation and Student Financial Accounts
- Participation in the Commencement ceremony is dependent upon clearance by the University Registrar following a review of your academic record.
- Students must be within 6 credit hours of completing their undergraduate baccalaureate degree to participate in the Commencement ceremony.
- Students must apply for graduation by March 1. A $150.00 graduation fee will be applied to your financial account.
- Students who apply after the March 1 deadline will be charged an additional late fee of $100.
- Degree candidates with a balance due will not be allowed to participate in Commencement. All tuition, room, board, fees, interest, library fines, and parking tickets must be paid in full by April 28.
- No transcript or diploma will be issued until the balance is paid in full.
- Diplomas will be mailed during the summer to each graduate at the address provided on the graduation application. Diplomas will not be distributed on stage.
Graduation with Honors
Graduation Honors are awarded to undergraduate students only. Students who maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least a 3.40 based on ALL courses completed for a baccalaureate degree are eligible for graduation with honors as follows:
- Cum Laude 3.40 to 3.54 gpa Silver Cord
- Magna Cum Laude 3.55 to 3.74 gpa Gold Cord
- Summa Cum Laude 3.75 to 4.00 gpa Bonaventure Medal
These honors distinctions will be noted on the student’s transcript and the diploma. Transfer students must have a minimum of a 3.40 at Quincy University to be considered for graduation with honors. Also for transfer students, graduation with honors is calculated based on the total college work of both Quincy University and all other institutions attended. All graduation requirements must be completed prior to Commencement for honors to be announced at Commencement.
Honor Cords and Stoles
Honor cords are worn by those who graduate with University honors, as noted above. Cords are also worn by members of academic honor societies and/or the Honors Program.
All undergraduates wear stoles that have the QU seal. Those who have completed their nursing degree through Blessing-Reiman College of Nursing will wear a stole with both the QU and BRCN seals.
The stoles and cords noted here are approved by the University and are the only ones allowed to be worn at Commencement.
The Honors Program promotes academic excellence through critical thinking, original research, exceptional writing, and public presentation of scholarship. Those students who have completed the Quincy University Honors Program will be announced at Commencement. Completion of the Honors Program will be noted on the student’s transcript.
Tickets & Seating
- UPDATE (April 6, 2017): Each degree candidate planning to participate in Commencement will receive 6 (not 4) tickets. By allowing 2 additional tickets per family, there will be no extra tickets to be reserved. If there are extra tickets, they will be made available the morning of Commencement at the doors of Pepsi Arena.
- No tickets will be mailed. Students may pick up tickets along with their caps and gowns in the lower level of the Student Center beginning Monday, May 8 at noon. At the time you pick up your tickets, you will be asked the number attending the reception on Saturday. Students residing off campus may pick up tickets on Sunday at 8:30 am in the Hall of Fame Room.
- Everyone, including infants and toddlers, must have a ticket to gain entry into Pepsi Arena for the Commencement ceremony.
- Tickets are not required for the Baccalaureate Liturgy.
- Commencement overflow seating is available in the Health and Fitness Center three-court area, and the ceremony will be broadcast on a closed circuit screen. Tickets are not required for this seating area.
- Reserved seating in Pepsi Arena is available for those with disabilities; please contact Mary Betts in the Academic Affairs Office at 217-228-5432, Ext. 3300. Facilities for the Reception, Baccalaureate and Commencement are handicap accessible.
Caps & Gowns
- Academic apparel must be ordered by March 31 through the Registrar’s Office: email@example.com or 217-228-5432, ext. 3970.
- All caps and gowns will be available to be picked up with your tickets beginning Monday, May 8 at noon in the Student Center glass conference room.
- The $150.00 graduation fee includes the cost of a cap and gown and is required even if you do not plan to participate in the ceremony.
Lifetouch Special Events Photography
Click here to order photos taken during the Commencement ceremony from Lifetouch Photography.
Order QU Graduation Announcements
- Click here and select “Quincy University” from the list, then the graduation date (only one choice) and then your degree.
- Diploma frames may be ordered from the University bookstore. Click here to order.
- Suggested ordering deadlines is April 7 for receipt before Commencement.
Click here to order a class ring from the University Bookstore.
Graduation News Release
- The Office of Community Relations (Francis Hall, Rm. B-37) will release a list of graduates to each student’s hometown newspaper.
- If you wish to opt-out of this news release OR have your graduation announcement published to another hometown/community newspaper, please contact the Office of Community Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A DVD of the Commencement ceremony is available for purchase through the Office of Community Relations (Francis Hall, Rm. B-37).
- Some area hotels extend a special rate for families attending Commencement Weekend. Please make sure to mention QU Commencement when reserving rooms.
- For a listing of area accommodations, visit the Quincy Area Convention and Visitors Bureau website at www.seequincy.com.
Any questions regarding Commencement can be directed to:
Registrar’s Office, 217-228-5432, ext. 3970, or email email@example.com