Get ready for ... Winter Commencement 2019
FRIDAY, DEC 13 – BLESSING RIEMAN COLLEGE OF NURSING & HEALTH SCIENCES PINNING
- 2:00 pm – Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing and Health Sciences Pinning, held at The Crossing, 150 S 48th St, Quincy, IL.
SATURDAY, DEC 14 – BACCALAUREATE MASS / COMMENCEMENT / RECEPTION
- 8:30 am – Baccalaureate Mass at St. Francis Solanus Chapel inside Francis Hall. Graduates are to wear gowns (no caps, stoles or hoods) and sit with family. Tickets are not required. All are Welcome!
- 9:45 am – Doors to Connie Niemann Center for Music will open (ticket required for every person). Parking: South side, off Seminary Rd. Handicapped parking is available. Graduates and guests should use the main entrance on the south side of the building.
- 10:00 am – Graduates line-up for Commencement Procession in full academic attire.
- 10:30 am – Commencement ceremony (ticket required for every person)
- 11:30 am – Champagne Reception (immediately following ceremony) in the Connie Niemann Center for Music Reception Hall.
COMMENCEMENT PARTICIPATION AND STUDENT FINANCIAL ACCOUNTS
- Participation in the Commencement ceremony is dependent upon clearance by the University Registrar following a review of your academic record.
- Students must be within 6 credit hours of completing their undergraduate baccalaureate degree to participate in the Commencement ceremony.
- Degree candidates with a balance due will not be allowed to participate in Commencement. All tuition, room, board, fees, interest, library fines, and parking tickets must be paid in full by December 2.
- No transcript or diploma will be issued until the balance is paid in full.
- Diplomas will be mailed early in the spring semester to each graduate at the address provided on the graduation application. Diplomas will not be distributed on stage.
SERVICE LEARNING HOURS
- Undergraduate degree candidates must have all Service Learning Hours completed by Sunday, December 1. For questions contact Sara Phillips, Experiential Learning Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GRADUATION WITH HONORS
Graduation Honors are awarded to undergraduate students only. Students who maintain a cumulative grade point average at Quincy University of at least a 3.40 based on courses completed for a baccalaureate degree are eligible for graduation with honors as follows:
- Cum Laude 3.40 to 3.54 GPA — Silver Cord
- Magna Cum Laude 3.55 to 3.74 GPA – Gold Cord
- Summa Cum Laude 3.75 to 4.00 GPA – Bonaventure Medal
- These honors distinctions will be noted on the student’s transcript and the diploma. All graduation requirements must be completed prior to Commencement for honors to be announced at Commencement.
HONOR CORDS AND STOLES
- Honor cords are worn by those who graduate with University honors, as noted above. Cords are also worn by members of academic honor societies and/or the Honors Program.
- All undergraduates wear stoles that have the QU seal. Those who have completed their nursing degree through Blessing-Reiman College of Nursing and Health Sciences will wear a stole with both the QU and BRCN seals. Undergraduates affiliated with a Greek organization that meets academic standards for membership may wear a stole representing a fraternity or sorority.
- The stoles and cords noted here are approved by the University and are the only ones allowed to be worn at Commencement.
The Honors Program promotes academic excellence through critical thinking, original research, exceptional writing, and public presentation of scholarship. Those students who have completed the Quincy University Honors Program will be announced at Commencement. Completion of the Honors Program will be noted on the student’s transcript.
Refer to the Academic Catalog, page 22, for more details.
TICKETS & SEATING
- Each degree candidate planning to participate in Commencement will receive 6 tickets.
- No tickets will be mailed. Students may pick up tickets along with their caps and gowns in the Bookstore (lower level of the Student Center) beginning Monday, December 9 at noon during business hours (see under “Caps and Gowns”).
- Everyone, including infants and toddlers, must have a ticket to gain entry into the Commencement ceremony.
- Tickets are not required for the Baccalaureate Mass.
- Degree candidates not planning to use their allotted number of tickets are asked to return any unused tickets to Mary Betts in the Academic Affairs Office, FRH 124. Those needing additional tickets may contact Ms. Betts (email@example.com), to be placed on a waiting list. Extra tickets will be distributed Wednesday, December 11, at the earliest if there are any received.
- Space is available for those with disabilities; please contact Mary Betts in the Academic Affairs Office at 217-228-5432, Ext. 3300. Facilities for the Baccalaureate Mass, Commencement and Champagne Reception are handicap accessible.
CAPS & GOWNS
- Academic apparel order information is submitted through the Graduation Application.
- All caps and gowns will be available to be picked up with your tickets beginning Monday, December 9 at noon in the Bookstore during business hours. Pick up times are:
Monday – 12 pm – 5 pm
Tuesday – Thursday – 8:30 am – 5 pm
Friday – 8:30 am – 12 pm
- Friday, December 13: 8:30 am – 4 pm
- Saturday, December 14: 10 am – 2 pm
ORDER QU GRADUATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Click here and select “Quincy University” from the list, then the graduation date (only one choice) and then your degree.
- Suggested ordering deadline is November 22 for receipt before Commencement.
CLASS RINGS AND DIPLOMA FRAMES
- Click here to order a class ring from the University Bookstore.
- Diploma frames are available for purchase at the University Bookstore.
GRADUATION NEWS RELEASE
- The Office of Community Relations (Francis Hall, Rm. B-37) will release a list of graduates to each student’s hometown newspaper.
- If you wish to opt-out of this news release OR have your graduation announcement published to another hometown/community newspaper, please contact the Office of Community Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STREAMING VIDEO / PHOTOGRAPHY
- Video of the ceremony will be streamed live on the QU Facebook page.
- Photos will be taken and will be available after the event on the QU Facebook page. Students can email email@example.com to obtain individual photos.
- Some area hotels extend a special rate for families attending Commencement Weekend. Please make sure to mention QU Commencement when reserving rooms.
- For a full listing of area accommodations, visit the Quincy Area Convention and Visitors Bureau website at www.seequincy.com. Click here for a listing of local establishments, including hotels, that provide QU discounts.
IN CASE OF INCLEMENT WEATHER
- If there is inclement weather on Saturday, December 14, an emergency notification will be sent to degree candidates in the early morning of the events.
Any questions regarding Commencement can be directed to:
Registrar’s Office, 217-228-5432, ext. 3970, or email firstname.lastname@example.org