Areas of Concentration:
- Curriculum/Instruction – Bilingual/ESL (online – for students currently licensed)
- Teaching Licensure – Elementary, Secondary or Special Education.
- Reading Education
- Teacher Leader
To apply, follow the instructions in the Degree Checklist.
Program Prerequisites/Completion Options
- Applications are encouraged from individuals in all fields.
- All applicants are considered on an individual basis focusing on the applicant’s potential for successful completion of the program.
- Application review for admission is ongoing.
- Start dates are subject to space availability.
Students seeking teacher licensure must:
- Meet criteria for acceptance into the Teacher Education Program.
- Show proof of passing scores on the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency and the state content test(s) in the teaching area.
- Meet checkpoint criteria throughout the program.
- Complete the 16-week student teaching experience.
Education Requirements: A completed or to-be-completed baccalaureate degree with an undergraduate cumulative GPA of a 3.0/4.0 or higher will be recommended for admission. Applicants with GPAs lower than a 3.0 may be considered for conditional admission.
MSE candidates seeking Curriculum/Instruction-Bilingual/ESL, Reading Education and Teacher Leader must provide documentation of current teacher license. This replaces the entrance testing requirement. *Teacher Leader also requires a minimum of two years teaching experience.
International students – Applicants from non-English speaking educational institutions must submit the results of the TOEFL. Generally, a score of 550 or above is acceptable evidence of a student’s ability to successfully study in an English-speaking environment at the graduate level. Also, the applicant must submit documentation showing how his/her education will be financed. A bank official must authorize this financial documentation.
Quincy University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, a commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, 30 N. LaSalle St., Suite 2400, Chicago, Illinois 60602-2504 (800.621.7440).
The Master of Science in Education program is approved by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE), 100 N. First St., Springfield, Illinois 62707-0001 (217.782.4330), to offer education programs for elementary and secondary teacher licensure, as well as school counselor licensure.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL 217-228-5404 OR EMAIL GRADUATESTUDIES@QUINCY.EDU
Applications are accepted throughout the year so you can start during any term.