Quincy University and Western Catholic Union have announced the recipients of five $2,000 scholarships:
- Mary Jane Maguire from Washington, Mo; St. Francis Borgia HS; Plans to study biology and play softball at QU.
- John Allen from St. Louis, Mo; St. John Vianney HS; Plans to study pre-med and play baseball at QU.
- Madalyn Tegeler from Effingham, Ill; St. Anthony HS; Plans to study pre-med at QU.
- Christa Dowil from New London, Mo; Quincy Notre Dame HS; Plans to study business at QU.
- Elizabeth Dietrich from Liberty, Ill; Liberty HS and Quincy University. Majoring in Communication and participates in Greek Life.
“Quincy University is very lucky to have such a strong relationship with WCU. We appreciate their support of our institution by investing in our students,” said Brittany Ellerman, director of admissions. “I’m excited to see what great service projects these five winners will create in the next year.”
In August, QU and WCU unveiled a program to offer five annual $2,000 scholarships for students attending QU beginning in the Fall of 2018. This competitive scholarship program involves a written essay and application. Recipients of the scholarships are required to help organize a fundraiser or community project in conjunction with a local WCU branch office.
“We are excited about this first class of WCU scholarship winners. The applicants were involved in even more service activities than we hoped and are from areas in which WCU has active branches,” said Roger Player, CEO & president of Western Catholic Union. “Quincy University expressed a desire to expand its recruiting effort in both reach and new sources of student assistance. WCU was looking to expand its scholarship offerings into the collegiate arena, so this partnership is a win for QU, a win for WCU and most importantly, a win for the students.”
Western Catholic Union is a fraternal benefit society, and has been headquartered in Quincy since 1877. WCU’s 21 branches are located in Illinois, Missouri, Iowa and Wisconsin, and this scholarship program will be promoted in those areas. WCU’s mission is to attend to the fraternal, financial and spiritual well-being of the members of the Western Catholic Union by offering them the greatest number of social and spiritual opportunities possible and to keep our members safe and secure with the best insurance products available.