1860
Swipe Left or Right to scroll
1860
February 6, 1860 – St. Francis Solanus College begins classes in building at 8th and Maine Street.
1871
1871: After being held in three different locations, classes move to new building which is currently the eastmost wing of Francis Hall.
1873
1873: College granted charter by the State of Illinois to grant degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts.
1878
1878: Father Augustus Tolton, who would become the first black priest in the United States, enters college as student.
1895
1895: Quincy College Baseball team begins play.
1911
1911: Bowling alleys are built under the study hall.
1912
1912: QU Chapel is completed and dedicated.
1915
1915: Varsity Basketball program begins play.
1916
1916: Varsity Football program begins play.
1926
1926: City renames Vine Street as College Avenue.
1929
1929: QU’s student newspaper, The Falcon, begins publication.
1932
1932: Women first admitted as full-time day students.
1941
1941-1945: World War II greatly reduces the male enrollment; Quincy survives by training naval cadets and army reservists.
1950
1950: Memorial Gym (now Pepsi Arena) completed.
1957
1957-58: Augustine Hall and Woods Hall are constructed.
1959
1959: Enrollment reaches 1,000 for the first time.
1959
1960: Centennial Hall (now Helein Hall) opens on University’s centennial year
1963
1963: Garner Hall completed
1964
1964: Men’s Soccer is introduced to the college.
1965
1965: The opening performance at Machugh Theatre, The Taming of the Shrew, occurs.
1965
1965: Women’s Varsity programs in Basketball, Tennis and Volleyball started
1966
1966: Soccer wins its first of 11 NAIA National Championships.
1966
1966: Padua Hall opens.
1967
1967: Brenner Library is constructed.
1969
1969: University purchases its first computer
1972
1972: Women’s Softball started at QU.
1978
1978: New soccer field, now Legends Stadium, built at North Campus.
1983
1983: Women’s Soccer team begins play.
1984
1984: Masters of Business Administration (MBA) program begins.
1985
1985: Softball wins NAIA National Championship.
1986
1986 — QU Football returns after 33-year hiatus
1991
1991: Master of Science in Education Degree approved.
1993
1993: College is renamed to Quincy University.
1994
1994: Windows to the Future sculpture dedicated.
1994
1994 — Quincy University opens its first-ever Internet-accessible computer lab
1994
1994: Men’s Varsity Volleyball started
1996
1996 — Quincy University launches its first website
1997
1997: College adopts policy allowing fraternities and sororities on campus once again
1997
1997: Men’s Varsity Golf program started
1998
1998: Men’s Varsity Tennis and Women’s Varsity Tennis and Golf programs started
2000
2000 — Quincy dedicates statue of St. Francis in Francis Hall courtyard
2001
2001: Health and Fitness Center Opens
2005
2005: Mart Heinen Softball Complex opens at North Campus
2006
2006: Wireless Internet is offered all throughout campus
2010
2010: QU celebrates its 150th anniversary.
2010
2010 — Quincy University Marching Band returns after 60+ year hiatus
2011
2011 — Student Living Center opens becoming the campus’ first new residence hall since 1970
2011
2011 — Rich Niemann ’53 and the Niemann Foods Foundation gift $1,000,000 to establish the Connie Niemann Center for Music. The gift is the largest in University history by a living donor.
2012
2012 — An anonymous donor gifts $2,000,000 to renovate the QU Center for Science
2014
2014 — Student Success Center opens under Brenner Library