The degree of Master of Science in Education is designed for those who have completed an undergraduate degree and wish to enrich their professional lives in the field of education, leadership, administration, or counseling. In keeping with the mission of Quincy University, the Master of Science in Education Program "prepares men and women for leadership and transformation of the world by educating them to seek knowledge that leads to wisdom."
QU Graduate Studies also offered in Springfield, IL
Areas of Concentration
Curriculum and Instruction
Teaching Certification - Elementary and Secondary
Faculty active in their fields
Multi-disciplinary Field Experience Placements
Applicants must submit the following to the Quincy University Office of Adult Studies:
- Application - A completed Application for Graduate Admission along with the nonrefundable $25 application fee.
- Official Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- Recommendations - Two completed recommendation forms from individuals who can address academic and/or professional potential.
- Educational Requirements - Applicants must have or will have completed a baccalaureate degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Applicants with GPA's lower than 3.0 may be considered for conditional admission.
- Written Autobiographical Essay - A 300-500 word written essay by the applicant detailing how his/her work and life experiences demonstrate his/her understanding and beliefs related to servant leadership.
- Professional Resume.
- Entrance Test Results - A score of 380 or higher on the Millers Analogy Test or an equivalent score on the Graduate Records Exam. Sign up for test here.
- All prospective MSE candidates seeking teacher certification must provide proof of having passed both the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency and the Illinois Content Test(s) appropriate to the area in which they seek certification prior to being admitted to the program. These tests replace the MAT requirement for teacher certification candidates only.
- Additional Criteria - Based on the selected area of concentration, additional admission requirements may be necessary for program acceptance.
Program Prerequisites/Completion Options
- Applications are encouraged from individuals in all fields.
- All applicants are considered on an individual basis focusing on the applicant's potential for successful completion of the program.
- Application review for admission is ongoing.
- Start dates are subject to space available.
- Minimum of two years teaching experience prior to application into School Administration Concentration.
Students seeking teacher certification must:
- Meet criteria for acceptance into the Teacher Education Program.
- Complete the 16-week student teaching experience.
- Meet checkpoint criteria throughout the program.
- Proof that the candidate has passed the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency and the state content test(s) in the teaching area.
Quincy University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, a commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, 30 N. LaSalle St., Suite 2400, Chicago, Illinois 60602-2504 (800.621.7440).
The Master of Science in Education program is approved by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE), 100 N. First St., Springfield, Illinois 62707-0001 (217.782.4330), to offer education programs for elementary and secondary teacher certification, school administration certification, as well as school counselor certification.
Our Mission Statement
Embracing the Franciscan values of respect for the individual and service toward others, the Quincy University School of Education will personalize the development of servant leaders. These ethical, inspiring and collaborative professionals will be reflective decision makers who are committed to the academic and personal success of all students, particularly the marginalized, in responsive teaching and learning communities.