Professional Degree in Writing
Combining liberal and professional education with a strong foundation in rhetorical studies
“The secret of it all, is to write in the gush, the throb, the flood, of the moment – to put things down without deliberation – without worrying about their style – without waiting for a fit time or place. I always worked that way. I took the first scrap of paper, the first doorstep, the first desk, and wrote – wrote, wrote…By writing at the instant the very heartbeat of life is caught.” ― Walt Whitman
The Professional Studies online degree-completion program in writing provides liberal arts education with a focus on fluency and versatility in written communication. Rooted in the traditions of broadly based critical, creative, and strategic thinking, the program prepares students for careers requiring high levels of writing proficiency.
Stretch Your Mind
A FEW OF YOUR CAREER OPTIONS
- Communications Specialist
- Marketing Specialist
- Print Journalist
- Technical Writer
- Advertising Copywriter
- Public Relations Specialist
- Webmaster/Content Developer
- Media Relations Officer
- Student Affairs Professional
- Freelance Writer
ACTIVE LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- This cross-disciplinary approach gives the degree-completion student a varied experience with multiple types of writing including news, advertising, memoir, fiction, poetry, public relations, business, theatre and editorial writing.
- Practicum opportunities at QUTV, a student-produced on-air news media, and The Falcon, the campus newspaper, advised by Quincy Herald Whig editor.
- Internship choices at 125 corporations, many paid, as early as freshman year.
- Public relations for on-campus events with the Communication Club.