Quincy University, founded in 1860 by the Franciscan Friars of the Sacred Heart Province, lives in the spirit of Francis of Assisi. Following in the footsteps of Jesus Christ, St. Francis embraced the whole world in community. We build our community in his spirit as fellow learners, coming together in mutual respect. Quincy University is open to all truth and all seekers of truth.
Quincy University shares in the spirit of St. Francis and of his spiritual sister St. Clare by preparing women and men, through undergraduate and graduate programs rooted in the liberal arts, for responsible stewardship and leadership. We keep the spirit of St. Francis alive by viewing the world of learning through the prism of Franciscan values: fidelity to our Catholic roots; spirituality flowing from Christian faith, prayer, and service; commitment to safeguarding justice, peace, and the beauty of creation; and respect for the dignity and worth of individuals.
The Quincy University community lives the philosophy in the following ways:
- We prize excellence in teaching and advising.
- We provide a liberal arts education that serves as a bridge to both fulfilling careers and committed service.
- We believe in a liberal arts tradition linked with professional studies.
- We strive to integrate technology into all aspects of our curriculum.
- We bring our students directly into educational, professional, cultural, and social settings and experiences that enhance their education and personal growth.
Faithful to the Franciscan spirit, Quincy University, in being responsive to the needs of a fast changing world and a diverse student population, calls all members of the University community to shared and lifelong learning that builds character and global citizenship by creating programs that teach, serve, and inspire.