Midwest Biology Degree
Discovering Life. Discovering Your Future.
Guided by a faculty of trained scientists, students discover themselves through the world around them. With newly renovated labs and spaces to work, you will learn high-tech science with traditional methods.
We are biology. We are reminded of this at the beginning and at the end, at birth and death.”—Mary Roach, The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers.
A Few of Your Midwest Biology Degree Courses
A Balancing Act
Within the Biology and Biological Sciences program students can follow a number of educational tracks or concentrations:
- Pre-Medical Science: Many students choose this track, designed to lead to admission to graduate school in medical school, dental school, pharmacy school, veterinary school, medicine, and other health professions.
- Pre-Physical Therapy Track: Integrates coursework in physical education and prepares students for physical therapy school. Also recommended for occupational therapy.
- Environmental Track: Focuses on the ecological principles and environmental issues involved in our natural world.
- Secondary Education Certification: Offers a secondary teacher certification program in conjunction with the School of Education for students seeking certification as junior high and high school teachers.
- Clinical Laboratory Science Degree: Focused on medical technology in collaboration with academically affiliated hospitals.
A Few of Your Career Options
Pre-medical science track to medical, dentistry, veterinary, pharmacy or other medical professions.
- Park Ranger
- Science Teacher 6th-12th grade
- Health Department Worker
- Scientific Research
- Medical Doctor
- Veterinary Doctor
- Physical Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Genetic Counselor
- Public Health Worker
- Environmental Lawyer
- Environmental Conservationist
- Laboratory Technician
- Forensic Scientist
- Physician’s Assistant
- Nurse Practitioner
Active Learning Opportunities
Our students gain professional experience in a multitude of opportunities:
- Spend a week exploring the Galapagos Islands and other tropical destinations for academic credit.
- Work on Missouri Stream Team and Monarch Watch.
- Intern for pay at top-notch local healthcare institutions.
- Participate in field and lab work, and help with important research projects.
- Join the Pre-Professional club to share goals and experiences and watch professional presentations.